Nosy Crow conference

Saturday 13th September turned out to be a very long and tiring day for a variety of reasons, including the long delay at Westbury in Wiltshire while the police were called to escort several drunken men off the train, thankfully not in my carriage. However it was all worth it – I had a really great day at the second “Nosy Crow Conference”, so thank you Kate Wilson and Dom Kingston in particular for such an informative and inspiring day.

It was an event mainly aimed at those outside the field 2014-09-13 10.18.56of publishing  and a high percentage of the audience appeared to be aspiring authors and illustrators. The programme consisted of sessions about picture books, the process of getting your first book to publication, the bookseller perspective, social media and the work of the Agent.  We were also treated to sessions by Helen Peters, Tracey Corderoy and Jeff Norton; they are all relative newcomers as authors but gave tremendous insight into their work.

I still have to work my way through all the notes I took yesterday but there was such a great deal of information and I hope that it will be of use.  I particularly liked the session by Tracey about how an author should think about the sessions they do in schools, libraries etc.  I have always worked from the other viewpoint, which is how a school should treat their authors.

If you get the opportunity to go to the next conference (and I hope there will be one in 2015)  it is of interest not just to budding authors and illustrators but also to those of us who work with publishers and the artists.  It really does give an insight in to the issues they face, and how we as librarians can help and support our colleagues in publishing.

2014-09-13 16.06.23

2014-09-13 15.00.27

Kate Wilson